HELLO, IT'S ME! (AGAIN)


Hello communicators! If you've been here before, welcome back. For you first-time visitors, let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Colton Crowe and I am currently a graduate student in Troy University's Strategic Communication master's program. In May 2019, I graduated summa cum laude from the University of Montevallo with a bachelor's degree in mass communication with a concentration in multimedia journalism and minors in both public relations and theatre. During my time at UM, I served as a student journalist for the campus newscast, Vallo Vision News, as well as the campus newspaper, The Alabamian. With my contributions as a student journalist, I was recognized with the 2019 Everett Holle Award. 

Furthermore, I have interned with multiple organizations, specifically non-profit organizations, such as the Arts Council of Tuscaloosa and High Socks for Hope. Along with the field of communication, I am very passionate about theatre and the performing arts where I have experience both on and off the stage with multiple theatre organizations in Tuscaloosa, such as Theatre Tuscaloosa, The Actor's Charitable Theatre, Tuscaloosa Children's Theatre, and the Tuscaloosa Theatre Troupe. I currently serve on the Board of Directors as the Marketing Director for The Actor's Charitable Theatre where I help coordinate most of the organization's marketing and graphic design needs and just recently, I started as a digital marketing intern at The Nine, an award-winning web design and digital marketing agency in Tuscaloosa.

You may be wondering, "what is the main focus for this blog?" While it will still focus on strategic communication like in my previous posts, we will be covering topics that specifically fall under leadership and media strategies in the communication field.  I am looking forward to covering topics from interpersonal influence and social media and opinion leadership to message development and placement and crisis and change.

This past week, we covered the Diffusion of Innovation theory and how it relates to the asset-light generation and how it can capture this generation's attention. We have seen a major shift in how today's generations are receiving information and that is attributed to the advancements that have taken place in technology. When it comes down to the media, rather than CDs and DVDs, millennials and Gen Zers rely more on streaming services such as Spotify and Netflix. When considering how a theory such as the Diffusion of Innovations can grab the attention of someone who may be considered a millennial or Gen Z, I think there is only one way to do that and that is through technology and digital channels. Digital means convenient and that is what these generations have become accustomed to because it is quick and somewhat powerful. 

What do you think about the Diffusion of Innovations theory? Can you think of another way other than by digital means that could capture the attention from younger generations? I would love to hear your thoughts, so leave a comment below.

Well, that's the end of this post. To all you newcomers, passerby's, and frequent bloggers, thank you for checking out my 'column.' You can expect a post at least every week, so I'll be back sometime next week. Stay tuned!

-CC

Comments