COME ON PEOPLE, PUT UP YOUR CELL PHONES! (PLEASE?): THE RULES OF CELL PHONE ETIQUETTE



According to Google.com, the term "cell phone" is defined by being "a phone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be used over a wide area, without a cellular physical connection to a network." To some, it causes the lack in other connections, such as face-to-face human interaction.

As a millennial, I am all for the technological advancements and improvements happening in our society today. From robots delivering food on more and more college campuses nationwide to new and improved blood tests that predict premature babies prior to birth, there are endless creations and ideas that have pioneered our future in technology and innovation.

However, while these inventions have so many benefits to offer, it is hard to create something without it also having a disadvantage or a "flaw in the system." With inventions like the cell phone, they do.

You may be surprised that I, a millennial, think cell phones have disadvantages. Yes, I enjoy texting, Snapchatting, and posting on the 'Gram (Instagram) like anyone else. And even being able to pull my phone out and discover all of what is happening in the world instantaneously and whenever I want is a huge plus. But I believe there are times when you should "unplug" from social media and your cellphone and any other device and actually communicate with people face to face.

I am from a small town in Alabama and I was raised by my parents to not have my cellphone (or any other device) at the dinner table. For my family, dinner time is a sacred time to bond and communicate as a family. It was always the time to gather and talk about what was happening at school, our lives, and everything in between. This time of day that people once considered a timeless tradition is still cherished by many but as time goes by and technology improves, simple dinner times are becoming a thing of the past.

In an article titled, "Cell Phone Etiquette," it includes a list of places where you should limit your cellphone usage. Surprisingly, it doesn't even list family dinner time, which I think should be at the very top. But it does include other respectable places like churches, restaurants, movies, theaters, and plays. Below is the complete list I took a screenshot of from TheSpruce.com.


After reading this list, I was particularly triggered by #2: Movies, Theaters, and Plays. As a professional communicator by day and a theatre performer by night, I have been personally affected by this one. I'm not sure if the so-called "theatre-goers" are aware that having phones out or the sound of a ringtone blaring throughout the theater while a performance is going on is distracting, but, simply put, it is. This common misconception (or as I like to call it, common sense) happens more than you would think and falls under another umbrella of etiquette known as "Theatre Etiquette," which I could write a book on but let's get back on the main topic here.


One thing I appreciated being mentioned in the article is using your phone while driving. I can't say I have never done this before but it is something I am very cautious about and take seriously while driving or even when I am in the passenger's seat riding with someone else. According to The National Safety Council, the use of cell phones while driving causes 1.6 million crashes every year. This is something that is completely mind-boggling to me because people have the choice to not use their cell phones while driving and are aware of the consequences but still do so anyway. I have heard and seen so many stories where teenage drivers were victims of this and I think it is something we should work harder and prevent ourselves from doing and remind others of not doing while driving. Other statistics on cell phone usage while driving can be found at EdgarSnyder.com.

The article, "Cell Phone Etiquette" goes on to talk about when using your phone during "private talk," such as at the dinner table, and even when texting. It states, "when you're hanging out with friends and family, don't be rude and chat with someone else on your cell phone. Be both physically and mentally present for the people you care about. If you feel that you must answer your phone when it rings, let the person know you'll call back later, when you are alone. Doing otherwise gives the person you're with the impression that her or is she isn't important to you."

This is another thing I see a lot nowadays. I have been to countless restaurants where I have witnessed an elderly person and a child who I assume is a grandparent with their grandchild. Throughout the entire meal, from when they entered the restaurant to sitting down, the child was on a device the entire time and no face-to-face communication took place between the two, even when the grandparent took the initiative to try and talk to their grandchild. Every time I see this, it just breaks my heart to see what I considered quality time with my grandparents, who are no longer here, and to see someone who has prime opportunity to spend with their grandparent and to take advantage of it.

Bottom line, be smart when using your smart phone. Although it may seem like you are staying "connected to the world," and while that is somewhat true, being active in face-to-face communication is so important and has so many advantages. It allows for so much personal growth for everyone participating and simply for you to utilize your communication skills and to know that whoever you are talking to is actively listening to what you are saying goes such a long way.



Has there been a time when you've experienced an overly-consumed cell phone user? Have you had to remind yourself to put down your phone after realizing you may be on it too much? I think we've all experienced one of these throughout our lives! I would love to hear about it so leave a comment below.

As always, thanks for checking out my blog and stay tuned for next week's post!

-CC

Comments