HELLO FROM COLTON CROWE!



Hello, fellow communicators, bloggers, and anyone else visiting my blog! My name is Colton Crowe and I am currently a graduate student in Troy University's Strategic Communication master's program. In May 2019, I graduated summa cum laude from the University of Montevallo with a bachelor's degree in mass communication with a concentration in multimedia journalism and minors in both public relations and theatre. During my time at UM, I served as a student journalist for the campus newscast, Vallo Vision News, as well as the campus newspaper, The Alabamian. With my contributions as a student journalist, I was recognized with the 2019 Everett Holle Award. Furthermore, I have interned with multiple organizations, specifically non-profit organizations, such as the Arts Council of Tuscaloosa and High Socks for Hope. Along with the field of communication, I am very passionate about theatre and the performing arts where I have experience both on and off the stage with multiple theatre organizations in Tuscaloosa, such as Theatre Tuscaloosa, The Actor's Charitable Theatre, Tuscaloosa Children's Theatre, and the Tuscaloosa Theatre Troupe. I currently serve on the Board of Directors for The Actor's Charitable Theatre where I help coordinate most of the organization's marketing and graphic design needs.

I am excited to kick off this blog where I will be discussing topics under the umbrella of strategic communication and emerging media. Ultimately, I want this to be a learning environment for both me, as the writer and researcher, and you, as the reader, and a hub where we can effectively examine the communication and media happening around us! Over the next several weeks, I will be discussing topics such as social networking, citizen journalism and digital democracy, branding and online reputations and much more. You can expect a blog post at least every week covering such topics and possibly additional posts about me and my progress and findings as a graduate student.

This week, we examined how traditional media and digital media play hand-in-hand. Specifically, how digital media is effecting traditional media and if mediums such as printed newspapers are slowly becoming a thing of the past. But while online newspapers are becoming more and more popular, the revenue it brings in for most news media is still particularly low. According to an article from the Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, "typically 15 percent or less of total revenues come from online operations." In other words, online mediums are being used by most people because it's just easier to access, but newspapers still depend on print readers to help them stay afloat. In my opinion, I think there will always be people who prefer a tangible newspaper copy, and yes, that even includes members from younger generations such as millennials. However, I think with the media that is ever-changing and emerging, it is important that we appreciate the advancements taking place that enable improvements of forming, sending and receiving news, in any form or fashion. So, while it is unfortunate that printed newspapers and other "old-fashioned" forms of media are slowly becoming less favored, it is pretty astounding with what the media has transformed into.

What do you think about the effect digital media has on traditional media? Do you think printed newspapers will soon just die out or do you think they will always be around? I would love to hear what you think, so leave a comment below!

If you've gotten this far, thank you for reading my first blog post! I look forward to covering more topics here at coltoncrowe.blogspot.com. I'll be back soon with a new post, so stay tuned!

-CC

Comments